Wednesday, June 4, 2008

BOOKS!

I know I have a bad habit of buying books (mostly on the recommendation of friends) then waiting forever and a day before I get around to reading them. I just realized how bad this habit acutally is.

If I *just* read all the books piled on my nightstand

IMG_1061

plus the books I've had to move to the main bookshelves because there was no more room on said nightstand, I'd have enough books to read one book a day for THREE MONTHS!

That doesn't even take into account the books from the library that are awaiting my attention.

IMG_1067

I am hereby putting myself on a Book Buying Fast for the month of June. It's the only way to control the insanity. In other news- it's that time of year again! Yes, my local library has put out the grab bags full of books for only twenty-five cents! You'll remember last year's grab bag was kind of a bust (hee!) because of false advertising. (If a trashy romance novel is titled My Seduction, then there should actually be a seduction in said book, right?) Let's see what looks promising in this year's bag, shall we?



Now, these bags are 95% full of trashy romance novels. I buy them mostly for the LOLZ. This year's batch did not disappoint on that front.

IMG_1072

Her Baby, His Secret? Classic. (Although I wonder how someone like Maeve Binchy, who actually has a pretty respectable mainstream career, made it in with this group??)

IMG_1073

Oh yes! JACKPOT!! How can you not stop what your doing and pick up Let's Make a Baby! (please to be noting the exclamation point!) Or what about Tall, Dark & Western? Nice. Although I think my favorite might just be Marriage Incorporated. I can't wait to find out if this book is about a mail-order bride company.

There seems to be a theme to a few of these books.

IMG_1076

Babies everywhere! Although, I think we can guess that the couple in Let's Make a Baby! are successful in actually making a baby, seeing as how there is a pregnant woman on the cover. SPOLIER ALERT!!! :P Wait, though. What's up with Her Baby, His Secret??

IMG_1075

Hello, chest hair! I like a little bit of the welcome mat as much as the next gal, but come one! And I find it strangely suspicious that a guy with that much chest hair has absolutely hairless arms. Even the baby is weirded out by it! Maybe that's part of the mystery alluded to on the cover???

I was also lucky enough to get TWO books from Silhouette's Man of the Month series. Man #1 is Tall, Dark & Western. The blurb on the back says his name is "...Marty Stryker, cowboy extraordinaire and sexy husband-to-be". Hmmm. Most of the cowboys I've met all have names like Cash, Ty and Cody.

IMG_1077

Man of the Month #2 doesn't get a snappy title, just Gabriel's Gift.
IMG_1079

Let's see if the blurb on the back is more interesting.

IMG_1080

Holy cultural insensitivity, Batman! Did Cassie Edwards write this book? "A man's instincts are still to hunt and bring the woman to his lair." - Gabriel Deerhorn, Native American mountain man.

Yikes. Sounds like good, clean fun! :P


I haven't read any of them yet, but I'll let you know all the exciting details when I do.

6 comments:

Beckie said...

Ha! That was hilarious.
Why don't you write for newspapers or magazines?
What is LOLZ?

Nancy Seaman said...

I am laughing my head off! Did you actually spend all that time making those pics? And people say I need a life.

The Sauls Family said...

Beckie, the "LOLZ" is netspeak for snarky laughter. Like pointing and snickering at cheesy romance novels. ;)

The Sauls Family said...

It's a good day- I made Mom laugh!

Of course I spent all that time taking the pictures (it took like 10 minutes). It takes time to craft a well thought out blog post! :P

J-Mom said...

Thanks so much for the laughter. Now what if your night stand books and your library treasures got together?
Founding Mothers & their Outrageous Desire

Love Walked in….Let’s Make a Baby

Condensed Knowledge of the Tall
Dark and Western

Home—Marriage Incorporated

Friday Night Lights & the Baby Bet

Arabesque Atonement

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle—Her Baby, His Secret

Todd said...

Jennifer you are great!!! Thanks for the laughs!! I'm anxious to find out how you do on the book buying freeze- that's going to be a hard one for you:)