Monday, June 2, 2008

Gardening

Three plants fell victim to Isabella's overzealous weeding tonight- a bell pepper plant, cilantro, and a marigold.

Oops.

In her defense, these plants were quite small and weed-like looking. Luckily we have three other bell pepper bushes that are about ready to start bearing fruit and another small thing of cilantro (I just put it in a week ago).

We harvested Madeline's ginormous cabbage last week, and reckon it came in close to 20 lbs. As it got bigger, we kept breaking off the bottom leaves because they kept crowding the tomatoes and peppers. The root stem was at least three inches in diameter. Madeline actually had a hard time holding the cabbage, it was so heavy! I plan on cooking it some time this week for dinner. Hopefully it will be very tasty!





I'm really proud of our little garden. We've already picked a few jalapenos and cherry tomatoes. All of the herbs are doing great. All of the tomato plants are loaded, and I can't wait to eat them!

4 comments:

J-Mom said...

That's some BIG cabbage. Coleslaw anyone? Our garden has not done well. I'm gonna have to chalk it up to a year of learning what not to do.
Enjoy the yummies!

Carol said...

Holy Moly!!! That's a years worth of cabbage. Fantastic.

Beckie said...

Holy cabbage batman!
That's one for the record books!

Rich and Vic said...

Wow !! that thing would make a lot of slaw !! Guess Maddie got her Nana's green thumb huh ?