Monday, December 8, 2008

Pride goeth...

You know how last week I was feeling all smug and sassy about all the things I had accomplished in spite of my busy, busy schedule??

That feeling has come and gone. :P

Actually, it's not all that bad. I've just had a minor epiphany, and it's helping me through the "Woe. Woe is me..." stage I'm at right now.

It's the second week of December, and as my preschool children reminded me today there are only 17 more day until Christmas. So far we have the tree up and decorated, but that's about it. I've bought a few presents, but I'm not really inclined to buy much more. (Think the girls would be happy with a card in their stockings saying something along the lines of "In lieu of presents, a substantial contribution has been made in your name to Dr. Dallas Margeson, Orthodontist. Merry Christmas!"??? Probably not.)

I don't even have any homemade projects in the works. All of my creative energy is going into preschool. Normally I'd be making some sort of something to give out to local friends. (Those of you who received the Mix CD of 2005 can verify its greatness, no?? ;D) I've got a Christmas newsletter written out, but no burning push to actually get the cards in the mail.

I'm not feeling Scrooge-y, not by any means. I think I'm just feeling more low-key. Right now, nothing is more important to me than free time, and spending that free time with my family. Everything else is just not as important to me this year. The things I used to do that made me happy just wouldn't make me happy this year. I'd feel even more tired and stressed than I already feel.

So I've decided to focus on the things that make the holidays meaningful for me: sending out cards, making some special foods, spending quality AND quantity time with people I love, and nourishing my spirit.

8 comments:

Davis Family said...

I was lucky enough to recieve one of the 2005 Christmas CD's, it was wonderful! You are very creative and I look forward to getting your family Christmas card and letter!!!! Always a good chuckle and great info! Enjoy the time with James and the girls:)

J-Mom said...

Loved me some 2005 CD. I was using that genius idea this year, instead of goodie plates. Enjoy your time with family, nothing could be more important

Katheryn said...

Sounds like an excellent plan to me. Sometimes all the things going on around the holidays can be a little overwelming to me. I think it's great to just try to focus on the things that are the most important and meaningful.

To Live Deliberately said...

I feel the same way every year. I think it is the curse of the working mom, Jen. I always put things off until the week before Christmas until I am no longer working.

THE GRANDY FAMILY said...

I feel your pain! I hate to make the kids suffer, but times are tight now for everyone. Try your best, because when it gets down to it the girls will appreciate all that you do for them. Maybe not now... but someday.

Caroline said...

I am so with you..I thought I was having Holiday Depression :).but now I realize I just feel like you do..just want to enjoy those around me..tired of getting caught up in the business of the season!!!

Nancy Seaman said...

Oh come on now! You get us all looking forward to a new cd and the lively christmas card and then this! As long as G-dad with ereads the Christmas story with everyone gathered around, the season will be completeas far as I am concerned.

Rich and Vic said...

Jen, I wanted to thank you for having this "words of wisdom" on your blog, I am in quite a funk about trying to figure out how to forgive someone for something and am having a hard time with it. I was reading your fabulous post and happened to glance over and see it. Isn't it amazing the things that Heavenly Father does for us when we least expect and most likely least deserve it ?

Words of Wisdom
Gordon B. Hinckley

"I think forgiveness may be the greatest virtue on earth, and certainly the most needed. There is so much of meanness and abuse, of intolerance and hatred. There is a great need for repentance and forgiveness...Somehow forgiveness, with love and tolerance, accomplishes miracles that can happen in no other way."