Saturday, January 24, 2009

Books, books and more books

A friend sent me this survey. It made me laugh and laugh as I was filling it out. It's a survey about "Books as Ex-Boyfriends". It's a little on the salty side a times (let's give it a PG rating), but it's quirky fun, I think.

The one who seduced you and messed you up and broke your heart in a million pieces and laughed about it:
That would be the Outlander series. Oh man. I got half-way through the second book before I called it quits. Just...no. I loved the premise, but there was a scene that pushed my squick meter to 11, and if it hadn't occurred 550+ pages into a 600 page book, I probably would have stopped reading.

The old flame you don't see very often any more but whom you still really enjoy getting together with for a few drinks:
Anything by Rosamunde Pilcher. I don't re-read her books all that often anymore, but every once in awhile I'll go through The Shell Seekers, September and Coming Home all in a week. And it's always so satisfying!

The mysterious dark gothy one whom you used to sit up with talking until 3 a.m. at weird coffee houses and with whom you were quite smitten until you realized he really was crazy:
1984- Man, I probably read that book at least a hundred times while I was in high school. It's still a classic, but reading it over and over again cannot be good for your head. :P

The one you spent a whole weekend with and who drank up all your liquor, and whom you'd still really like to see again although you're relieved he doesn't actually live in town:
Twilight. I literally spent two days in bed reading the first two. I liked the third and I was (somewhat) satisfied with the final book, but I'm really, really glad the hype has died down. I don't think I could take much more of the extreme "These are THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!11!1!1!" (they aren't) and the "These books are damaging to women and girls!!!111!!!" (they don't) opinions.

The steady:
Lucy Maud Montgomery. I never get tired of her books. Never, ever, ever. It's been a 20 year love affair, and I see it lasting till my dying day.

The alluring stranger whom you've flirted with at parties but have never gotten really serious with:
I'm embarrassed to day it, but, Jane Austen. I've read all of her books except Perusasion and Lady Susan. I enjoyed all of them immensely. I've just never re-read them. *blushes*

The one you hang out with and have vague fantasies about maybe having a thing with but ultimately you're just good buddies 'cause the friendship is there but the chemistry ain't:
Anything by Meg Cabot. I've read many of her books, and I own several, but I feel like I read them out of obligation sometimes. Avalon High keeps me reading her YA books, and Every Boy's Got One keeps me reading the adult books.

The one your friends keep introducing you to and who seems like a heck of a cool guy except it's never really gone anywhere:
Shannon Hale. I've read Austenland and Rapunzel's Revengebut that's it. I enjoyed it a lot, but I've never gotten around to reading anything else.

The one who's dated all your friends, and you keep looking at him and thinking, "Him? How the heck did he land all these cool babes?":
The Golden Compass. I just don't get the love. I got ten pages into the book and put it down and promptly forgot about it. I hoped seeing the movie back in December of last year would make me want to pick up the book again. Nope. Even my girls weren't impressed, and they usually love that type of movie and want to read the book.

The one your friend has fallen for like a ton of bricks and whom she keeps babbling to you about on the phone for hours, and you'd be happy for her except you just know it's going to end badly:
The Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire sereies- Eight books in and the author has been very hit-or-miss. Book Nine is due out in May, and I've already read the first chapter, and it didn't really impress me. I just don't have a lot of cofidence that Harris (the author) is going to find a satisfactory conclusion to her series.

The one you repeatedly cheat on your steady with:
Harry Potter. I re-read these books almost as often as I do my LMM books.

1 comment:

To Live Deliberately said...

Jen, I think I have been challenged. I will start thinking of my list of books, but I just don't know if I have enough variety to complete this one...