Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Things Remembered

There are a lot of things I don't really do anymore now that I teach preschool five days a week.

I used to scrapbook almost daily. Scrapbooking was my main hobby for almost 15 years. I really enjoyed it, and I'm proud of the work I did. But I can't remember the last time I scrapped. Maybe two years ago?? Along that same line I used to make handmade cards. I'd give them as gifts or use them for Christmas. I haven't made my own Christmas cards since 2007-ish??

I used to love to cook and bake. I loved getting a new cookbook and working my way through the recipes that sounded good. Although I still love to read a new cookbook, these days I tend stick to our tried-and-true favorite recipes, and if I need something new I consult The Pioneer Woman or Nigella, who never let me down.

I used to blog more often. I've been blogging since 2004, and I rarely let a day go by without posting *something*. I don't stay up as late as I used to. I don't go out with friends as often. I don't play as many board games as I used to.

Some of this can be attributed to the fact that the girls are getting older. They have lives outside of the house, and I'm not the only one setting their agenda for the day.

Most of my creative energy goes into preschool. It takes a lot of planning to come up with crafts and activities for nine 4 year olds! The time I used to spend making Christmas cards is now spent helping my kids make presents for their parents.

The thing is, I like my work, even if it has taken the place of some of the things I used to do. A few years ago we had a new family move into our ward (they are gone now, and I don't even remember their name, so I don't feel bad about telling this story). I was talking to the husband one Wednesday night at church and I mentioned that I waught preschool. He said something along the lines of how glad he was his wife didn't have to work outside the home, because his job provided enough for the family. Bless his heart, I don't think he realized just how offensive that was. Not only was that a slam against me, but it was also a slam against James, insinuating that he wasn't a "good" provider if I worked outside our home. Stupid man. ;)

I choose to teach preschool. It fulfills me in the same ways those hobbies used to. Sure, teaching here in Albany takes up more of my time that teaching in Tifton did, and sometimes I wish I had more time to spend being creative *for me* or puttering in the kitchen, but I'm okay with that.

Most of the time.

This is all just a long way of saying I roasted a chicken with veggies and made homemade bread when I got home from school today, and it felt nice to be my "old self" for a few hours. Tomorrow it's back to Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup for dinner while I read a book. ;)

3 comments:

Nancy Seaman said...

I just told Eileen this am when Gretchen came in with a cute mask from preschool, how you guys are so underrated by society. I admire the amount of time that goes into caring and teaching those little people. And, you have a true gift in this area!

To Live Deliberately said...

Wow! Thanks for this post. I needed a- it's ok to like what you do, even if it does take some sacrifice- talk.

Teneal said...

Jennifer - when I read your blog I feel like I'm having a conversation with you - even though it would be a one-sided conversation where you are the only one talking and I'm just listening. But I LOVE listening to you. You are so smart and funny. I miss you, girl! Thanks for your post - now my 3 little ones are all in school, I'm trying to decide what to do for me. Is it work, is it Chinese lessons, is it back for more school? But like you said everyone has their own path and that's ok. We'll see which path I take......hugs!