Friday, July 24, 2009

Soothing the savage beast...

I was tagged for the survey by my friend Sara, and since I'm trying to avoid a massive pile of laundry I figured I'd jump all over it. :P

Once you have been tagged, you are supposed to write down 25/30 songs you cannot live without. You know, the ones you can listen to over and over and never get tired of. They don't have to be in any particular order. These are the songs that make you laugh, cry, think of an old friend, whatever the reason.

1. With or Without You - U2
2. Elevator Love Letter - Stars
3. 59th Street Bridge Song - Simon and Garfunkel
4. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
5. The Way You Look Tonight - Tony Bennett
6. Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
7. Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac
8. Fields of Gold - Sting
9. I'll Fly Away - Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch
10. Fools Rush In - Elvis Presley
11. Come On Get Higher - Matt Nathanson
12. Love Me do - The Beatles
13. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - U2
14. Daughter - Loudon Wainwright III
15. If I Had a $1,000,00 - Barenaked Ladies
16. Heart of the Matter- Don Henley
17. Gotta Have You - The Weepies
18. The Sweetest Thing - U2
19. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
20. Wonderwall - Oasis
21. By Your Side - Sade
22. Photograph - Def Leppard
23. Yellow - Coldplay
24. Regret - New Order
25. One - U2
26. Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles
27. Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
28. Easy Silence - Dixie Chicks
29. I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
30. Whatever It Is - Ben Lee


1. With or Without You: Of *course* U2 is going to be at the top of the list. I CANNOT WAIT to hear this song in person in October. Do you know what thought? I was talking to 15 year old girl the other day, and she had didn't know who U2 was! SHE HAD NEVER HEARD THIS SONG. What is this generation coming to??!!?!??!?
2. Elevator Love Letter: Even though this song isn't exactly happy, I've loved it ever since I heard it for the first time.
3. 59th Street Bridge Song: You can't listen to this song and not be happy. It's impossible.
4. Bad Moon Rising: This song reminds me of my dad.
5. The Way You Look Tonight: It's a classic.
6. Wicked Game: I wonder if this song would have been as popular without the classic video?? At any rate, it's a downright sexy song.
7. Everywhere: Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie kill the harmonies. Amazing.
8. Fields of Gold: Sting at his best
9. I'll Fly Away: Anothing song with amazing harmonies.
10. Fools Rush In: James says this is "our song".
11. Come On Get Higher: Let me tell you how obsessed I have been with this song this summer. TOTALLY OBSESSED. It's the ultimate sexytime song. GUH GUH GUH
12. Love Me do: This was the first Beatles song I really loved
13. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World: This U2 song is a gem that is underappreciated.
14. Daughter: The girls play this on iTunes all the time. I love that it has meaning for them.
15. If I Had a $1,000,00: This is probably our family's "theme song". We love it so much we took the name of our family blog from it.
16. Heart of the Matter: Longing and regret and missed opportunities
17. Gotta Have You: Another duo with lovely harmonies
18. The Sweetest Thing: I love that Bono wrote this for his wife Ali as an apology for missing her birthday.
19. Sweet Home Alabama: You can't be from the south and not love this song. It's in our DNA.
20. Wonderwall: I couldn't decide between the Oasis and the Ryan Adams version. In the end Oasis wins, just because the idea of Liam or Noel Gallagher being devoted enough to someone to write this song is a miracle in and of itself.
21. By Your Side: Dude. It's Sade. 'Nuff said.
22. Photograph: It's bombastic and over the top and I love it.
23. Yellow: I'm now realizing this list is heavy on the slow emotional jams. :P
24. Regret: I literally can not NOT dance when this song comes up on iTunes.
25. One: This song is genius. Pure genius. I didn't appreciate it until I got older.
26. Here Comes the Sun: George Harrison doesn't get enough credit for his contributions
27. Birdhouse in Your Soul: Another "family" song. I love to hear Isabella sing it.
28. Easy Silence: Natalie Maines kills it.
29. I'm On Fire: I like Bruce, and I can appreciate his contribution to music and all that, but his music isn't really my thing. That being said, I love this song.
30. Whatever It Is: A new favorite that will stick around for a very long time.

I'm going to tag Gawdun, Tahmi, Travis, Jed and Lora.

3 comments:

J-Mom said...

Enjoyed the list and the descriptions of why.

Nancy Seaman said...

When G-dad was in Vietnam we went to the base theater every week. They would always play Here Comes The Sun in the "playlist" before the movie started.

Becky said...

Oh! I used "I'll Fly Away" as my labor song- 1 hour of pushing and it didn't get old! :-)